Bar soaps are seeing their way back in the spotlight with more and improved products becoming available. But while they are stealing the spotlight, shampoo bars seem to be an even more popular choice – and for a good reason.
They are the way to go if you need to reduce your plastic footprint, ditch harmful chemicals, and get a durable product that will leave your hair feeling fabulous.
Currently, shampoo bars are available in a myriad of styles, ranging from designer beauty products to eco-friendly brands, and we’re going to take a look at the best shampoo bars in the UK in this buyer’s guide.
How Do Shampoo Bars Work?
Also known as a solid shampoo, shampoo bars are super-concentrated blocks of soap that contain active cleaning ingredients. Just like regular soap, they lather up when they come into contact with water. The lather is worked through your hair like regular shampoo and rid your hair of dirt and grease with ease.
Now let us take a look at the best shampoo bars in the UK.
Best Shampoo Bars UK 2020
Give your hair a super deep cleansing and leave it with an enchanting glossy finish with the Clovelly Soap Co Handmade Natural Solid Shampoo. Endowed with therapeutic essential oils like mint, lemon and eucalyptus, this shampoo bar will leave your hair clean, smelling fresh, and more importantly, healthier. It is handmade with the cold-press method that retains the benefits of natural ingredients, which means that your hair won’t be exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Conditions and strengthens your hair
- Features therapeutic essential oils
- Made with vegan, biodegradable ingredients
- No chemicals included
- Some customers comment that it doesn’t work well with salty water
Our Rating: 4.0/5
Relish an intensively rehabilitating hair-washing experience with the Foamie Floral Flair that repairs damaged hair and gives it a healthy and glossy structure. This shampoo is specially formulated with natural plant extract infused with enchanting scents of patchouli and jasmine to leave your hair with an attractive smell. It is paraben and silicone-free and is formulated with neutral pH to make it gentle on your hair and scalp.
- Formulated with neutral pH to make gentle on your hair and scalp
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Repairs damaged hair
- Eco-friendly and free of harmful chemicals
- Dermatologically tested
- Comes in a pack of two
- Free from dye
- Some customers feel like it doesn’t produce a thick lather
Our Rating: 4.2/5
This Phogary Hair Soap (Jasmine + Honey) is among the best shampoo bars that will refresh your scalp and condition your hair to uplift its health and sheen. It is bright yellow and leaves your hair with a lush jasmine scent that smells fresh. This soap contains cypress extracts that protect your hair from damage and enhance growth. It is also infused with honey and shea butter that softens and moisturises your hair. This soap is handmade with natural products, which ensures that your hair is not exposed to harmful chemicals and doesn’t harm the environment.
- Ideal for dry hair and sensitive skin
- Repairs damaged hair
- No harsh detergents
- Gives your hair vitamin A,B5 and E
- Comes with refreshing scents
- Is unisex
- Can leave the hair a little bit frizzy
Our Rating: 4.4/5
Containing pure natural ingredients, this lovely shampoo bar poses no risk of any allergic reactions or side effects associated with harmful chemicals. The handmade soap is completely vegan, meaning that it is not tested against animals. It boasts exhilarating scents formulated from lemon, peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils that ensure your hair is left with a refreshing smell. This soap is ideal for whole-house use and is suitable for sensitive skins and all types of hair.
- Contains therapeutic essential oils
- Moisturises and nourishes damaged and dry hair
- It is vegan made with no animal parts
- Contains 100% natural ingredients
- It is hand made to maintain the overall integrity of the natural compounds
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- Its hanging rope falls off easy
Our Rating: 4.5/5
Formulated with active charcoal as the active ingredient, this Voodoo Bamboo Shampoo Bar boasts hair detoxifying capabilities that will give its counterparts a run for their money. The activated charcoal absorbs impurities from your hair to return it to its natural state and enhance its original colour. It also unclogs hair follicles, which promote hair health and growth. This soap delivers a dense lather that moisturises the hair and scalp, which ensure that they remain healthy for days. It contains pure natural extracts like castor oil, soy wax, olive oils, Tasmanian seaweed extract, and essential oils, which ensure that your hair is cleaned with healthy compounds without exposing it to artificial additives.
Note: This soap is highly concentrated, which means you should use it in small amounts
- Detoxifies the hair and scalp
- Promotes hair growth by unclogging follicles
- Provides a soft glossy finish
- Moisturizes hair
- Ideal for sensitive skin and all types of hair
- Adds hair volume
- Made with 100% natural extracts
- Ideal for sensitive skin and scalp conditions like eczema and psoriasis
- Takes quite a while to rinse out the hair
Our Rating: 4.1/5
Clean, maintain and nourish your coloured hair with this Murumuru Butter Shampoo that’s specially formulated to maintain the colour and sheen your hair. This solid vegan shampoo is infused with natural nut butter that will nourish and condition every strand of your hair to leave you with soft lengths, glistening with colour. It lathers pretty well and gives your hair a natural kiss of the enchanting rose smell. This bar soap is made with natural products to reduce the risk of damaging your hair with harmful compounds. It also nourishes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Specially formulated for coloured hair
- Made from natural extracts
- Also acts as a moisturiser
- Free of plastics and dye
- Promotes hair health and growth
- Formulated with a balanced pH to ensure it is gentle on your scalp and hair
- It suds up a little when washing
Our Rating: 4.3/5
Nourish your hair with this SLS-free shampoo bar that will uplift your confidence by leaving your hair feeling soft and clean. This shampoo bar is formulated with a cinnamon scent, which gives your hair a nice smell. It will give your hair a glossy look thanks to its henna extract and juniper compounds that make it sleek. The coconut ingredient also moisturizes and conditions your hair, which promotes the health of your hair.
- Nourishes and makes the hair glossy
- Promotes hair health and strength
- Moisturises your hair
- Ideal for vegans and it is not tested on animals
- Balanced pH makes it ideal for all types of hair
- Soothes the scalp
- Some customers feel like it runs out quickly
Our Rating: 4.6/5
Get your shine on with this Alphy & Becs conditioning shampoo that’s specially designed to promote your hair health and beauty thanks to its perfect fusion of shea butter, coconut milk and vitamin E, thus making it an all-in-one hair conditioner. This shampoo bar is specially formulated to cater to all kinds of hair, which makes it ideal for use by the entire family. This shampoo also packs a punch when it comes to hair care, thanks to its patchouli and bergamot oils that help in relieving itchy scalps.
- Promotes hair health
- Relieves itchy scalp
- Comes in a plastic-free package
- Suitable for oily hair
- Contains coconut and shea butter that give your hair a glossy appearance
- Causes allergic reactions in some people
- Not suitable for kids under the age of 3 years
- Causes extreme irritation in the eyes
Our Rating: 4.2/5
Designed to cleanse, condition and improve the health of your hair, this revolutionary solid shampoo from Little Soap Company is your best choice when looking to improve the appearance of your hair. It’s formulated with orange and ginger essential oils that nourish your hair and scalp. These essential oils also promote hair health. This shampoo is free from synthetic preservatives, parabens, SLS silicone and alcohol, which lowers your risk of being harmed by dangerous chemicals.
- Deeply nourishes the scalp and hair
- Comes in a biodegradable package
- It’s cruelty-free
- Improves the sheen of your hair
- Contains natural essential oils
- It’s only 85% natural
Our Rating: 4.8/5
When it comes to energising and uplifting the look of your hair, this AA Skincare Balancing Shampoo Bar packs a punch. It’s infused with naturally-occurring essential oils that work against oil build-up to maintain a glossy appearance in your hair. This soap is also formulated with coconut oil that helps in moisturising every strand of your hair and reduces scalp irritation. It’s also infused with dead sea salts that boost hair growth and minimize dandruff. What’s more, the combination of lemon and bergamot essential oils cleanse and tone your hair to promote growth and maintain its sheen.
- No harmful chemicals
- Soothes scalp irritation
- SLS and paraben-free
- Ideal for greasy hair
- Nourishes and promotes hair growth
- Maintains a beautiful hair sheen
- Manages the growth or dandruff
- Some customers don’t like the fact that it comes with plastic packaging
Our Rating: 4.6/5
Shampoo bars cut down on plastic use and are more affordable than their liquid counterparts. Most of them are specially formulated with natural ingredients to keep your hair safe and reduce carbon and plastic footprint. With that in mind, you may now choose one that suits your needs and preferences.